Re: [wg-c] re: Choosing the intial testbed

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, William X. Walsh wrote:
> You are suggesting limiting this vote to the 5,000 approved ICANN "members?"

    Yes.   but "approved" is a loaded term, and if there was a vote, the
number of ICANN members would likly increase, including anyone who was
interested enough to register as a voter.

> Please.  First of all, this will not be anywhere NEAR ready in the foreseeable
> future.  Secondly, this is nowhere NEAR a solution for polling the "Internet
> Community."

    I don't think there is a "solution for polling the 'Internet
community," and what is the "Internet Community" other than a polemical
device for avoiding identifying who will actually make decisions?

   ICANN says they can do the vote by September for the Board.  That
seems pretty fast.

    And the membership in ICANN is presently open and free to anyone
with an email address and an postal address, which isn't a bad criteria,
IMO.  At least it is a criteria.

    But fine if you have an actual way to create a rival *election*
process, that can be done faster.

   Jamie

 PS, I've used the term, "election" and others have used the word
"polling."  I don't think they mean the same thing, although they are
similar ideas.

James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
P.O. Box 19367        | http://www.cptech.org
Washington, DC 20036  | love@cptech.org
Voice 202/387-8030    | Fax 202/234-5176