Re: [wg-c] Choosing the intial testbed

At 10:22 AM 3/22/00 -0500, James Love wrote:
>    If someone wants the "perfect" solution, then they should invent
>something else, because I would agree that mine has flaws.

James,

When creating or fielding design criticisms, it is often very helpful to
distinguish between comments of the flavor "I don't like detail X" or
"Detail X would be better with choice A", versus one of the nature "Detail
X won't work".  The former gets into the realm of design preference.  The
latter gets into the realm of viability.

My comments were intended to be the latter.

For the most point, matters of design aesthetics are up to the proponent to
justify. Matters of infeasibility are not.  If a thing won't work, it won't
work.

In other words:

>    I think if you identified the groups that would decide, they would
>end up with decisions.

I agree, hence my statement of support for the basic idea, though the
concerns that Brunner state are non-trivial and entirely valid.

>    If the non-commerical domain holders could choose 3, they would

The essential non-existence of that group as a functioning group is not a
minor or subjective point.  Hence continuing to assert that they will make
decisions, is much like the famous joke about finishing a complicated
formula by saying "and then a miracle happens".

We need to be careful about designing things that have fragile,
time-sensitive or unlikely dependencies.

>    For the voting proposal. ICANN does have a membership system. It is

It has the framework for one.  It does not have one that is
functioning.  Hence your proposal pretty much assures that it will be
nearly a year to get a set of names from the at large group.

> > >some other way.  Perhaps a lottery by those with "pioneer" proposals, or
> >
> > You would consider giving the rogue registry participants -- the folks who
> > tried to replace the IANA DNS root system -- special position???
>
>     I've never taken a position on the "pioneer" or "rogue" registry
>proposals.  I don't know enough about this to make an informed decision
>one way or the other.  I'm not sure I want to.

Interesting perspective for someone proffered as a consumer advocate.  At
any rate, please forgive the misunderstanding.

What DID you mean about 'a lottery by those with "pioneer" proposals'.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA