Re: [wg-c] current version of WG-C report

At 15:43 17-03-2000 -0500, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:

Dear Jon:   I vote yes.  Please consider my comment on formatting, below:

>         The relationship between domain names and trademark rights
> presents an
>important and difficult issue, and is appropriately addressed by registry
>data maintenance requirements, dispute resolution mechanisms such as the
>UDRP, and any other device that ICANN may choose to adopt, as well as by
>national legislation. Trademark owners' concerns in this regard are
>important ones, and not to be overlooked.  In public comments on the
>Interim Report, a substantial number of commenters urged that deployment
>should be delayed until after implementation of the uniform dispute
>resolution procedure, improved domain name registration procedures, and
>adoption of a system for protecting famous marks.  They included, among
>others, Jonathan Cohen (then an NC member, IPC),

Jon, unless the reader is intimately aware of what we are doing, they will
not know that the last phrase means.  I think it means the Jonathan Cohen
is now a member of ICANN's Board, but he was then a member of the "Names
Council" representing the "IP Constituency".

It gets worse, references to ISPCPC and NCDNHC are just too cryptic.  Our
report needs to be understandable to outsiders on the Internet.

I know you've worked hard on this project, much harder than any of us would
have been willing to do.  But I wonder if you could do a bit of "searching
and replacing".  A the very least, flesh out "C" to "Con".

Personal regards, BobC