RE: [wg-c] distributing gTLD whois

This seems like a good idea and one that should be implemented in code. Can
you send references to appropriate links and documents? Ones suitible for
codifying?

However, there remains the deployment issue. How many DNS servers implement
BIND8? Bear in mind that, MANY commercial Unices are significantly down-rev
and are still running BIND4 or older, not to mention the flock of crufty old
BSD and SCO systems out there (I personally know of one old VAX 11/780 still
in operation, with Unix 4.2bsd). Until the SRV feature is more widely
deployed, it cannot be used as the sole mechanism. (Don't forget that even
when the software is installed, it must still be configured properly)