From: owner-wg-c@dnso.org [mailto:owner-wg-c@dnso.org]On Behalf Of John
Charles Broomfield
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2893 3:44 PM
To: Rick H Wesson
Cc: wg-c@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [wg-c] whois - opperational issues && new gTLDs

> I know some folks don't like how the whois got distributed when NSI
> Registry went into "shaired" mode.
>
> How do folks propose the whois service to work with additional registraies
> running new gTLDs.
> -rick

As far as I'm concerned, the registry database should contain enough data to
allow a registrant transfer from one registrar to another without any
co-operation from the first registrar. It should contain enough data to
be able to realistically identify the registrant. In other words, if a
registrar dies uncooperatively, it should not be catastrophic for those
registrants that chose it.
heavy-registry/thin-registrar would be my choice as a model, much like what
happens with AFNIC (for .fr) or nominet (for .uk) as opposed to what happens
with NSI (for .com).

Yours, John Broomfield.