RE: [wg-c] more on non-shaired gTLDs

>...but even then, this still puts ICANN in the position
>of having to create a blacklist of firms that they refuse to do business
>with. Not good policy given the current legislative landscape in the US.

Karl is not talking about forever, he's talking about the testbed. See
comment below.

>> If there were no artificial scarcity of TLDs then I'd share your
concerns.

>"Six to Ten" followed by a period of evaluation doesn't necessarily imply
>"stop at six to ten".

Agreed, but the testbed evaluation period will be significantly different
from anything that goes beyond. For all we know, there may be no more
than 6-10. For all we know, it may take another 5 years to get more than
the 6-10. Nobody knows.

>There are lots of seats at the ICANN table, and more will be added as time
>goes by. Precluding the existing invitees from the feast does nothing to
>further the diversity you speak of.

That's not what he's saying. What he's saying is that giving an invitee
seconds before someone waiting at the door has even taken their first
plate is unfair, at best. There's plenty of room, as you say. So let's
let everyone get their firsts before we start the call for seconds.

--
Christopher Ambler
chris@the.web