RE: [wg-c] Re: your mail

Marilyn's suggestion here makes some sense to me -- these other two domains
are underutuilized and I've seen other examples of the
multiple-registers-undertaken-in-order-to-avoid-confusion duplication
(triplication?) Exploiting what's available now in better ways would seem
potentially quick and smart.

> Sent:	Saturday, March 18, 2000 3:12 PM
> To:	'Milton Mueller'; Rick H Wesson
> Cc:	wgc
> Subject:	RE: [wg-c] Re: your mail
>
> Should we also be talking about spinning .net and .org out into separate
> registries? That would present new business opportunities to operate and
> market names in these gTLDs.
>
>  .org should be more attractive, it would seem to me, than it is. There's
> too much confusion right now, and I think NSI adds to it, perhaps
> inadvertedly.  For instance, when a new non profit group, like a group
> focused on protecting kids online launched (real example), they found it
> necessary to register in .com and .net, and .org.  That happened because
> there is no clear marketing distinction between those "brands". (Sorry,
> but
> bear with me for a moment on this).
>
> When this group registered "kidsonline.org", to their chagrin, someone
> registered the .com version. OOPS, wasn't about protecting kids, believe
> me!
> So, lesson learned. When they launched their next non profit
> group/service,
> they registered all three names, but are merely pointing to the .org site,
> where the content/service is located.
>
> Marketing the distinction between the three isn't in NSI's business
> interest, but if they were separate, it would be in the competitive
> registry's interest...
>
> Just a thought... Any ideas from others on this? Marilyn

NOTICE:  This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged and confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone (404-881-7000) or by electronic mail (postmaster@alston.com), and delete this message and all copies and backups thereof.  Thank you.