RE: [wg-c] "within the process"

At 07:23 PM 3/16/00 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:
>No, it is not true.  IANA was delegated authority to delegate ccTLDs, but NOT
>gTLDs without the approval of the NSF.  This is a clear fact, Kent, and is not

IANA was never, repeat never, accountable to NSF.  NSF came on the scene
long after IANA established the DNS and long after IANA had been
administering it.  NSF did provide funding to NSI and that gave NSF a
critical piece of power, since NSI held the mast DNS root.  A tactical
error that produced strategic problems.

>CORE CREATED ITS OWN PROCESS with IANA'S help.  I can go do the same, and with

William, debate about these issues is facilitated by parties having at
least a modicum of knowledge about the facts.  It appears that you are free
of that encumbrence.  Core did not create the processes.  It did not even
create Core.  Go back and learn some of the facts.

>the same legitimacy.  Just because no process existed doesn't mean you can go

IANA had processes operating for over 10 years.  How do you think we got
com/net/org, for example?

> > In addition, there is a fundamental logical fallacy in what you say --
> > withdrawal of a delegation of authority does not mean that the entity
> > from which that authority was withdrawn never had the authority.
>
>They never had the authority.  It wasn't withdrawn.  Please, prove me wrong.

Your assessment is based on your extensive experience with these activities
at the time, William?

>Point to a document from the NSF that gives IANA authority to create and add
>new gTLDs without it's consent.

see above.  NSF was never an authority over IANA.

For reference, the important letter you cite was on NSF letterhead, but
actually came from the White House.  The purpose was to give NSI better
legal cover, I believe against the PGMedia case.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA