Re: [wg-c] about the consensus call; How do we get a degree of objectivity to come to bear on the subject?

At 01:05 15-03-2000 -0500, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>         Reactions?  Am I right in these late-night assessments, or is the
>consensus call proposal a better one than I'm giving it credit for just
>now?  If I am right, is there a good (and quick) way to address (some of)
>those concerns?

Dear Jonathan:

A wag once quipped, "Objectivity varies as the square of ones distance from
the problem".

Not that I agreed with the questioner, it was posed in the context that
those least knowledgeable (farthest from the problem) really don't
understand the issue.

I think all of us know the issue ad nauseam:-{  In this case, bringing in
the selection of gTLDs brings a degree of divisiveness which would keep us
arguing in Pershing Square forever -- at least this bunch of us dies off.

I therefore do not endorse the idea of having this group compound its
problem by adding a hundred new variables to the selection process *at this
time*.  In fact, this group may *never* be able to come to a consensus on
the actual gTLDs to be delegated.

Regards, BobC