RE: [wg-c] historical trivia (getting to the Shepperd/Kleiman "p

Paul, I endorse everything you said here, save one item. The Name.space vs.
NSI suit named the wrong party. A fact that both Chris Ambler and I informed
you of. Of course the DoC is covering NSI, NSI *is* operating under contract
and therefore the root-servers.net system is "work for hire", which
indemnifies the contractor from certain contingient liabilities. The
responsible party is currently the USG/DoC/NTIA, which was NOT named in the
suit. These facts are supported in the judgement and render that case moot.

As always, IANAL, see a legal advisor before acting on these words.

As to the remainder, the judgement is irrelevent. The relevent points are
that ICANN is NOT a regulatory bureau and isn't even a part of the USG. No
private company can make law, no private company can enforce law. The
reasons for this go way back to pre-revolutionary days.This is a fact that
allows new TLD root providers to challenge and compete with ICANN, even to
this very day, without the need for grand-fathering provisions or clauses.
The ICANN is not, and can not  be authoritative at that level. Whereas the
NTIA can be. The problem is that DOC/NTIA is ONLY authoritative within US
jurisdiction. The USG isn't stupid enough to hamstring US-based companies
whilst allowing the rest of the world free reign. At least, I hope not.

The threat of government intervention is an empty one. The concept of all of
the worlds nations agreeing on such a course of action, while laudable, is
amusing, given the current reality of international politics.