Re: [wg-c] about the consensus call

Dear Colleagues (and you not-so-dear colleagues, too :-)

I am concerned about a number of things.  Their convergence has to do
with the continued degradation of the WG and the entire gTLD process.
This WG was chartered to develop and report the consensus of the
involved groups regarding three narrowly-defined but critically important
sets of issues.  We have now become bogged-down in a number of
non-substantive issues, and it bears noting that we are making little or
no real substantive process.

My sensei makes fun of me for meditating (in hope of enlightenment).
Once, he picked up a piece of slate and licked it.  Fool that I am, I asked
him what he was doing.  He told me that he was making a mirror!  Twice
fool that I am, I asked him, how can licking a slate make a mirror?  His
response (I should have seen it coming, I know :-) was:  how can
meditation give you enlightenment?

How can the sort of disputation in which we engage ..... in a working
group whose membership appears to be open to all comers, regardless
of the lateness of the date at which they come to the table, irrespective
of the agenda they bring to the table (or which they left at home or which,
as appears to be all too common, they keep beneath a bushel basket) .....
develop and report consensus?  Indeed, there are those who believe that
the ICANN policy of adding gTLDs to the root only when supported by
consensus is a snipe hunt.   That is, there is logical equivalence between
that policy and a statement that "the only gTLDs that will ever be in the
legacy root are already there."  This WG is seriously broke.  That may reflect
that ICANN is seriously broke.  Certainly I am painfully aware that the
GA and NCC/NCDNHC are seriously broke.

Neither is the process aided by a WG chair whose avid support for a
particular outcome is patent.  As others have observed, the bias is writ
large in the current report, which purports to be the report of the Working
Group even as it denigrates the dissenters as being in opposition to the
consensus.  The chair's reference to the report as something which is his
work also testifies to his loss of perspective.

A zen master was crossing a bridge and was confronted by a gang of toughs.
They taunted him, asking, "How deep is the river of zen, old man?"  His
response, was:  "Find out for yourself," whereupon he tossed the toughs
into the river.

Mr. Weinberg, it's time you went for a nice, refreshing swim.

I move that this WG report to the Names Council that it is seriously broke
and needs to be reconstituted.

Kevin J. Connolly
The opinions expressed are those of the author, not of Robinson Silverman
Pearce Aronsohn & Berman LLP
This note is not legal advice.  If it were, it would come with an invoice.
As usual, please disregard the trailer which follows.

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com