From: Dave Crocker [mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2000 9:08 AM
To: rmeyer@mhsc.com
Cc: 'Karl Auerbach'; 'wg-c'
Subject: RE: [wg-c] voting on TLDs

At 08:08 AM 3/12/00 -0800, Roeland M. J. Meyer wrote:
>I would say that a proper vetting process is a better answer than simply
>adding them slowly. Reduced rate of new TLD additions is no assurance of

By itself, reduced rate does not guarantee the outcome.  You are quite
right.

What reduced rate does afford is the time to consider, review and modify
structures and processes intended to guarantee the outcome.

For example, simply deciding that a proper vetting process is the key is
not enough.  It must be specified and consensus on the design must be
developed.  Design of a such a process is far from straightforward and the
first version will not be sufficiently correct.  Only through incremental
review and modification can it be refined.

If there is a flood of new TLDs, then there will be no time or basis for
changing the process, since too many new TLDs will have been brought in
under the early and unrefined version of the process.

Hence, staged introduction of new TLDs permits a learning curve on the
vetting process.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA