Re: [wg-c] voting on TLDs

At 01:29 PM 3/6/2000 -0800, Karl Auerbach wrote:
>It was a fully functional server with several million TLDs.  You can call
>it limited, but I call it a very pragmatic test.

The test was of  a single machine, not a network.  The conditions did not
emulate the diversity of performance of the Internet.  That diversity is a
non-trivial factor.

>And one more thing - if the 512 byte limit on DNS UDP packets were
>modernized we could significantly increase the span of DNS servers per
>zone from the current bottleneck of 13.

If everyone would just agree to world peace, we could have that, too.

>I challange you to find me a DNS name that will cause my Windows,
>Macintosh, Unix, or Linux machines to crash when I resolve it.  And I
>note, you were the one who said that the machines would "crash".

I challenge Karl to correlate your statement with any claim that was made
about "a name" causing a machine to crash.  (Translation: Please make
rather than going off into rhetorical territory.)

At 01:39 PM 3/6/2000 -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Kent Crispin wrote:
> > If you would think about it just 3 seconds, you wouldn't ask that
> > question.
>
>I did, and nothing in your customarily ascerbic response answered my
>question.

Actually, the rest of Kent's note was an extensive and complete
answer.  And that remainder was not even acerbic, in spite of how difficult
it seems to be to get participants in this thread to read and respond careful.

In any event, this issue has now entered into the "your mother wears combat
boots" phase, so it is best left in the trenches.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA