re: [wg-c] IMPORTANT: DRAFT WG-C REPORT

> As another member of the community once stated:
>
> "It was never intended that the domains were a 'brand'. Domains were to
> find hosts (IP addresses)...

...and to find e-mail exchangers, to find names for addresses, to find
latitude/longitude coordinates, to find H.323 voice-over-IP "gateways", to
find services, to find host types, to find text, to find public keys etc
etc.

One must always remember that DNS is not simply a name-to-address lookup
facility, it is much, much more - indeed DNS is a fairly generalized
distributed database facility in which structured textual names are used
as lookup keys for wide, and increasing variety of record types.

By-the-way, to respond to another post on this thread: I would hope that
the statement that characterizes the advocacy of the addition of new TLDS
as being "a cynical attempt by those who register domain names to make
profits at everyone else's expense." was an unfortunate slip of the
keyboard.

It is clear to me that those of us who believe that the TLD space should
be expanded are not operating out of an attempt for financial gain.
Indeed, just like businesses who use domain names, or attorneys who charge
their clients money to protect trademarks, I do not find financial gain to
be dishonerable.

		--karl--