Re: [wg-c] Principles for domain names v7

Jonathan, your comments are wise.

On semantics, I like very much your proposals for "relevant" population -
this captures what we are trying to achieve. I will add and post.

The original intent of the multiplicity principle was certainly not to seek
limits on names but quite the opposite. If "as needed" is adequately
addressed by differentiation, then lets drop "as needed" in this principle.
I will drop and post.

You rightly address the question of enforcement under certainty. This is
intended to go further then the .kids/porn example I gave.  But let's
remember we are talking about principles, expressions of intent. We should
not rule out expressions of intent just because of potential enforcement
models. A presumption of good faith may suffice. I agree that a formal
screening process will be burdensome. But screening can be policed by many
players. First, as you say, there will be self-screening -  there is little
commercial sense in being in .automobiles when you have nothing to do with
cars. Second, there is peer screening. If you are outside of the charter
complaints by the other domain name holders may be the all the screening
process required.

In essence, the principle I think is worth having. And its enforcement is
subject to the principle on  "simplicity". One model of unburdensome
enforcement is one based on self-selection backed up by a complaints system.
Philip