RE: [wg-c] A brief note on linguists...

As a one-time AI worker, I recognise Mark's arguments and agree with them.
He is correct. It is not an arbitrary choice as cognitive science is the
only scientific vehicle that deals with the subject. Then the choice is, do
we deal with the subject rationally, or not, as you espouse. Choosing to NOT
use the rigorous discipline is irrational, IMNSHO, and will lead us down
more of the rat-holes that we have already seen.

I have been amused by watching lay-folks discuss "meaning" and
"memorability" whilst at the same time trying to remove any trace of
"context" from either (very amusing). I also note that most of those stating
those views have no direct experience in marketing (yet another group, very
familiar with these concepts). Yet, they aim to speak authoritatively. I'm
sorry, but a JD is NOT a PhD CS, nor is it an MBA, or vice verse (However, a
high-tech MBA probably has good cross-training in both [JD and CS]).