Re: [wg-c] Re: nine principles for domain names

Mssrs Sheppard, Mueller, Alvestrand, etc.

First, I should like to declare my cultural bias, I always wanted to be a North
American Indian, but was born in the wrong place. I look forward to the day when I
can register josmarian.naa or conceivably josmaria.naa, should it arrive. Eric
probably won't let me, as readership of G:M. Henty at an early age won't qualify,
but there you go. The rest of this email is metaphor, because we have been circling
the theoretical public good vs realised private benefit argument too long, there is
no answer but appropriate compromise, and.the participants already roughly know what
that is.

Second, Milton points out that the cake can be cut vertically, horizontally or in
slices corresponding to cultural longitude and latitude. And the creation of meaning
through business or other investment is exactly correct. But if all decisions are to
be left to the market, Milton, and they are not very important anyway, why are we
discussing it?

Your analysis poses the paradox of pure freemarket economics: that a putative
administration, acting in full knowledge of the costs of its acts, and attempting to
mirror the desires of all, should dissolve itself to achieve full, market freedom.
And the logical, utilitarian, corollary (which economists will slip around, saying
it's philosophy), that the individual is better off not existing, he thus saves vast
sums of money and poses no burden to the state.

Consequently, we should be out there selling dot.milt, etc., in the market, to
survive. There is no meta-discussion possible unless those who seek to appoint
themselves to positions of responsibility and administrative duty recognise that
their processes, whilst theoretically imposing on what might be called the 'general
will', in practice confer benefits of stability and predictability on the body
politic. AKA gTLD-MOU, ICANN or similar, for example.

This makes life boring for some and pleasantly predictable for others, who have
developed an aversion to the nasty, brutish and short alternative.. Consequently,
there are very clear market forces creating demand for the kind of stability that
Philip assumes as a good, namely the multinationals and governments who are having
to adapt to life on the internet, and for whom DNS is a small practical, but
aggressive conceptual, difficulty.

That the US market is more developed and more powerful than others is an argument
for its observation and its restraint, not necessary adoption of its norms. That it
should be bored by the relative lack of advancement of the rest of the world is no
surprise. This raises the top down/bottom up questions of sovereignty (and/or the
creation of meaning, extension of power) that ICANN, amongst others, hasn't been
able to solve over the ages. The US defends free speech, l'Académie Française
probably still vets the dictionary, the Arab world prizes fidelity to the Koran. It
used to be top/down by force, it is usually top/down by some means of persuasion,
and everyone knows the theoretical good of pure bottom-up organisation leads to
unmanageable confusion, different in every country. The Internet community has shown
great sensitivity to these issues, the commercial entrepreneurs, defenders of
property,  and their acolytes in general not.

Thirdly, the learning curve. I think Philip puts the questions in the nine
principles in a digested manner susceptible to use by the communities ICANN needs to
gain the public international legitimacy it needs. They are not perfect, and in fact
are a partial subset and restatement of other posts. Milton and Jon can both
perfectly well claim that they have said all this before (conceivably too well).
However, if it is a compromise statement, amongst others, that can be used as a
basis for the development of an appropriate ten commandments, I for one would look
forward to the meeting in Cairo with greater anticipation, a meeting which is
substantially about getting the rest of the world to be as perceptive and clever as
you gentlemen. Or the reverse, as they may have a similar project for you.

Without sounding too apocalyptic, if you can get public global agreement on the
names of basic shared things (cf. discussion in Aristotle, Aquinas and others),
there isn't much you can't do. On the other, practical, hand, if Eric ever tries to
drive by the streetsigns around the villages in Kent, rather like any bantustan, he
will find they take him in circles. I assume the Alexandrians do much the same.
Cavafy, a sort of Graeco-Egyptian T.S. Eliot of Alexandria, is probably the wrong
place to start looking for the roadmap. Perhaps improving on the post-war,
altruistic US desire to build an appropriate framework for peace, necessarily
cannibalised by lesser brethren, and now sorely rejected.

MM

Disclaimer: The above is an expression of personal opinion only. It also should not
be construed to contain any expressions of personal intent.