Re: [wg-c] Cairo meeting?

Jonathan:

Why does there have to be a "significant number" of WG-C members in Cairo
to hold a meeting? We have business to discuss regardless of how many
people are there. If the working groups don't meet or decide they don't
need to meet, what's the point of having the conference in the first place?
We all spend a lot of our time reading and responding to the list prior to
the bi-annual ICANN conference specifically so we can work towards some
kind of consensus to finalize and send up the chain of command at the
conference.

We, like many others, have already committed a chunk of change for travel
to this meeting because we assumed it was our duty to be there so we can
further the business at hand. In fact, we felt it was the duty of ALL of us
to be at ALL of the conferences regardless of where they are.

Are you saying now that there is no pressing business that needs attention
because there are a lot of members who will only physically attend meetings
that take place in North America?

If that's the case, let's do two things immediately:

1) take a roll call of who is expecting to attend so we know exactly what
we're talking about
2) hash out a tentative agenda of what business the WG-C has.

If this reveals that there is indeed no pressing business, then we can all
cancel our reservations and travel arrangements, save our money and simply
wait for the Jeri Clausing and the NY Times to tell us what happened.

In my humble opinion, if members decide not to come to the ICANN
conferences (where the business gets done), then they have no justification
for criticizing the outcome.

Do you not agree?

Thanks.
Jeff Shrewsbury