[wg-c] Re: nine principles for domain names

Philip Sheppard replies to Karl Auerback ...

> Karl, you comment on two of the principles:
> 2. Semantics <96> a gTLD should be meaningful in a language with a
> significant number of net users.
> Read this one again - we say nothing about English or a European
> language.

This answer is non-responsive, failing to address the character
set encoding issue. Karl mentioned Asian languages, he could just
as well have mentioned Hebew or Arabic, even Inuktitut or Braile.

> You say why trust? Are you happy then to say to net users "I know
> it says X but it means Y. Didn't you know that dear? We all did."

If a FQDN resolves to a dotted quad, then the name-to-address
resolution service works, if not, then it doesn't. If a trust
mechanism is attached to some part of the resolution service model,
then a trust model may be usefully available to end-users.

Karl mentioned that the TLDs are not simply marks, or guarantors
of some attribute of marks. A responsive answer would clarify the
details of the trust model under discussion.

Trust is important, so it shouldn't be defined poorly or defended
as if it ment the same thing to all people at all times.

Cheers,
Eric