RE: [wg-c] Commission Working paper on the creation of .EU

Dave enjoys claiming "facts" when none exist, if they
help his cause. Once again, let's refute with the truth.

The source is the late Jon Postel.

The witnesses are Mr. Eugene Kashpureff, Mr. Marc Hurst,
Mr. Richard Sexton, Mr. Christopher Ambler, Mr. Simon Higgs,
Mr. John Frangie, and Mr. William Manning. These gentlemen
all were witness directly to this.

Indeed, the suggestion was made many times between November
1995 and October 1996 in his context as head of IANA, and
between October 1996 and mid-1997 in what I must assume
was the same capacity (but is in doubt due to the ill-fated
IAHC fiasco).

Additionally, there are posted messages from the late Jon
Postel to the "newdom" lists, also suggesting that those
who wished to create new TLDs create their own roots.

There are also suggestions, though some might say they were
posted in jest, from IAHC members posted to the IAHC list.

I question the authority of the IAHC members to have made
this suggestion in any form that matters.

I don't question the late Jon Postel's authority in this
instance.

In summary, however, this is moot. The issue at hand is that
the EU has threatened to create their own roots if ICANN
does not add .EU; as a result, ICANN appears to be willing
to add .EU in order to avoid the resultant root fragmentation.
I find this humourous at best, considering what has
happened in the past.

What ICANN does next will be very telling (as well as make
the path they choose to take clear).

- --
Christopher Ambler -
PGP Public Key: http://www.ambler.net/Chris