RE: [wg-c] .eu and the notion of regional TLDs

Hello Milton,

For the most part, I agree with both you and Tony.

> Jay:
> I doubt if anyone is dismissing the notion of a regional TLD.
> Many of us support
> any number of new TLDs, including regional ones. The problem with
> .EU is the
> method by which the proposal is being promoted. .EU is really
> just a new TLD
> that certain Europeans want to compete with dot com, yet it is
> being advanced as
> a kind of quasi-ccTLD. This is both dishonest and a case of
> queue-jumping. The
> advocates of EU have refused to respect the DNSO's procedures,
> but instead are
> attempting to use sheer political muscle to get a delegation. This sets a
> dangerous precedent.

However, you make an argument for process here and there just isn't one. For
the most part, we are lacking process definition terms and the actual
procedures themselves. The EU want to move forward NOW and I can understand
their desire. Ergo, they are moving forward with the best analysis of
process that they can come up with. Lacking a clearly defined process
ourselves, who can say that they are wrong? The old process for adding TLDs
to the root was ad hoc, at best. Certainly it was/is haphazard.

I can also understand the EU losing patience with this whole schtick.