Re: [wg-c] Commission Working paper on the creation of .EU

> The CEC can do all the handwaiving it wants, but plainly
> its use is not as a country.  Furthermore, who is it for
> the German government standards agency to degree what
> codes may or may not be used by Internet users?  When
> was IANA's authority transferred to the DIN?

I find I must agree with this. I also must point out that Image
Online Design's ongoing request to add its .web registry far
supercedes the EU's request for its .eu registry. Should ICANN
take action on .eu, without first taking action on .web (and
the small number of existing registry requests that have
been formally requested of IANA and/or ICANN), I cannot
begin to imagine the problems that would be created.

It is ironic to remember that AlterNIC, in 1995, was told,
"go ahead and create your own root servers if you must,"
yet the EU's threat to do the same is making ICANN jump.
It's all about who you fear.

Christopher