Re: [wg-c] Commission Working paper on the creation of .EU

Joseph Friedman <josephf@touro.edu>  wrote 02/03/00 10:07AM >>>

>No .EU should be created.  .XX is reserved for the ISO country code list.

>--Joseph

Sometimes, it's dangerous to let lawyers get involved in the more technical
aspects of this process.  (I exclude myself from the dangerous category only
because lawyer though I am, I'm reasonably safe on the technology; it's the
policy decisions where I'm dangerous :-)

Just because countries _normally_ map into a two-letter TLD <RFCs 1032,
1591> does not mean that two-letter TLD's are reserved for country codes.
Formally, Mr. Friedman's post reduces to the statement that "all A is B,
therefore all B is A."  I trust that we all (even those whose last contact with
formal logic was high school geometry) recognize that as a fallacy.

I have diligently looked for, but have not found, any Internet documents
which reserve two-letter TLDs to country domains.  If such a reservation
is in effect, then please (a) accept my apology in advance and (b) cite
 the relevant document.

Kevin J. Connolly
The opinions expressed are those of the author, not of Robinson
Silverman Pearce Aronsohn & Berman LLP.
This note is not legal advice.  If it were, it would come with an invoice.
As usual, please disregard the trailer which follows.

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com