Re: [wg-c] Commission Working paper on the creation of .EU

While I have nothing whatsoever against the EU getting their own TLD,
it does raise some procedural questions for this working group and the DNSO
generally.

By what process is the EU applying for the TLD, and to whom?
Can other region/multinational/geographic communities of interest
apply?  For example, what about a NAFTA TLD?  A Central American
TLD?  How about one for the New England region of the United States, a
coherent economic region differentiated from surrounding states through
membership in the New England Compact*?

I will note this is now the second application in what, three months?
by a geographic region that is not technically a "country" for a cc:TLD
equivalent (the Palestinian National Authority having applied for its own
cc:TLD in advance of "final status talks").  If nothing else, this working
group (or the DNSO generally) could well serve ICANN by providing some
comments/advice/guidance on establishment of proper channels and procedures.
This ad hoc approach does no one any good, and risks engendering confusion
and ill-will by those subsequently denied.

A bit of planning now has the potential to save a lot of arguing and fights
later on.
If this working group, and the DNSO generally, are intended as resources for
ICANN,
it would be appropriate to set up a discussion process and make some
recommendations.

Harold Feld

*The states can make treaties with each other, provided they get the consent of
Congress.
Article I Sec. 10.