Re: [ga] RE: [wg-c] comment deadline for WG-C interim report

[CC trimmed to wg-c, which seems the relevant group]

At 17:55 10.01.00 -0500, Michael Sondow wrote:

> > It is worthwhile to examine the value of maintaining a non profit
> > status for the registry function
>
>The only value of non-profit status for any player in the domain
>name game, including registries, is that it allows secrecy in its
>proceedings, opacity in its policies, and monopoly in its commercial
>practices.

I fail to see how for-profit status is any bar to any of the above.

Non-profit status makes the amount of money taken out of the organization a
reasonable matter of public scrutiny; that's about the only difference I
can tell between a non-profit and a for-profit company.

If you were thinking of publicly traded corporations, that's slightly
different.

                     Harald A

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no