Re: [wg-c] new TLDs

I apologise for not jumping in after so much interesting discussion. I still
have a lot to learn about the ICANN and gTLD's etc, but Paul Garrin's
assertion that Name.Space, Inc. has already established gTLD's without any
ICANN or anyone else's permission makes me wonder just what ICANN's purpose
is? It seems as if a gTLD is there for whomever sets up a registry and squats
on it first, or am I missing something?

And, if someone sets up a gTLD, can it be revoked? What's the arbitration
process if another group decides they have a better claim to it?

As to global definition of a bank, there are quite a lot of central banks
around the planet that do just that. They are all affiliated with a Swiss
organization (name escapes me just now but it's in Basel). Membership in .BANK
(if they had control of the gTLD) would be according to each country's rules
from their central banks. This could solve a lot of problems with continuity
etc if a global entity who's job it was to determine membership and who had a
lot of long term capabilities was in charge.