[wg-c] well, I'm back

	I'm back on-line after about five days off.  (I had said in my note on
Wednesday that I might be off-line for a few days.  Jessica and Ari and I
have been pulling up stakes and moving -- to New York until May, then we're
returning to Michigan at the end of the spring semester.)   I came back to
a *lot* of WG-C messages, and haven't yet had the chance to read them all,
but I gather from the notes of Eric, Rick and others that the discussion
hasn't been entirely useful or constructive.

	Some thoughts:

	1. As Eric pointed out, folks have been ignoring the two-posts-per-day
limitation.  That's a Bad Thing, because it encourages people to fire off
posts to the list without stopping to think about whether their content is
sound, well-thought-out and important, and because it contributes to
overall list volume that's so high as to be unwieldy and not worth the time
of list members who have lives and day jobs.  Stick to the two posts,
please, and put some consideration into the question of which of your
contributions is sufficiently important to be worth burning a post on.
We'll all be happier.

	2. The main ways in which we've moved the discussion forward in this WG so
far have been straw votes and position papers. I'm reluctant to schedule
any of those right now.  The weight of expressed sentiment on the list,
when the question came up a couple of weeks ago, was that we should
postphone those tasks until after the Christmas-New Year's holidays were
over, and the Jan. 10 comment deadline on the interim report was done.  So
we''ll be marking time for a little while here.  Please do your part to
keep list volume manageable in the meantime.

	3. If anybody can think of a better way to proceed, please let me know
off-list.

	I expect that I may have something else to say after I've actually gotten
a chance to read all those messages.

Jon