Re: [wg-c] new TLDs

Another point on chartered TLDs:

I do not object to someone who obtains a non-generic word as a TLD and
accepting only those SLDs that meet some criteria and hence *building* a
brand in that TLD.  (This can as readily be done, and is being done, below
an SLD as below a TLD.)

But I object to generic words being assigned a priori meanings and
limitations in the domain name system.

In the former case the brand-builder is doing just that - building a
brand, building a mark.  He/she has something to lose.

In the latter case, whoever gets to run the chartered TLD has been handed
a certification power and will derive money, power, or the pleasure of
lording over others with no risk to him/herself.

To my mind chartered TLDs seem like the beginning of a modern day Internet
equivalent to a 1930's Soviet's Five Year Plan.

		--karl--