Re: [wg-c] chartered tlds

On 21 December 1999, Paul Garrin <pg@name-space.com> wrote:

>A TLD is meaningless by default and gains its meaning
>only through use and contex.
>
>Chartering TLDs not only ignores the multi lingual internet,
>but it also amounts to unfair restraint of commerce and
>free expression.

Ok, now you've just confused me.  How does a charter ignore
"the multi-lingual internet"?  Is it because the charter is
written in one language?  It can be translated.  Is it because
the TLD string is in one language?  I proposed none.  As far as I'm
concerned, they're arbitrary.  The charter's what's important, not
the TLD label.  Is it because 7-bit ASCII doesn't handle non-Roman
alphabets?  That's not an issue for us to deal with.

"unfair restraint of commerce"?  By saying "you can't sell things here"
I'm unfairly restraining commerce?  Remind me to come sell souvenir
snips at the next bris you attend.

...and you'd best go re-read my proposal, it's protecting free
expression, not restraining it.

>Generic means just that.

So I'll re-iterate:

1) uncontrolled, free-for-all TLDs will result in nothing more than a
litigious battlefield and will end up looking identical to .com.
There will be nothing left for anyone.  The same people who hold all
the domains now will do so in the new TLDs.  If we're not expanding
the namespace to provide MORE TLDs, then what's the point?  I'm not going
to vote to expand the namespace just so some slimeball can get his shot
at reselling coveted dictionary-word SLDs in a new area.

2) I never advocated the introduction of chartered TLDs to the exclusion
of all other registry models.  I would welcome the existence of both.
In fact, I'll advocate it.  I'd much rather have a fair comparison of
both systems then to sit here and argue what might happen.  Let's
try it and see.  (yes, yes, yes, I know:  CNO.  Arguments could be
made either way using that example.  I think the old charters worked
well.  The problem was the changing political climate, implementation,
and management.  We have a better grasp on what needs to be done now
than we did then.)

Tell you what:  Since people have some inbred fear of charters, I'd
be more than happy to run a chartered TLD.  Anyone willing to put up
the capital to start it?

(you see, for each of you actually running, or planning to make money
off of, a registry system who are participating in these debates,
there are other people who have no such plans, and yet others who'd be
willing to have a shot at what you fear.  For every entrepreneur who
believes something can't be done, I'll find you one who thinks it can.
Either you're afraid you'll be forced to use a chartered TLD business
model and can't figure out how to make money off of it or....what,
exactly?)

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org