Re: [wg-c] Schwimmer Post From Last Week

On 21-Dec-1999 Martin B. Schwimmer wrote:
> I didn't suggest Deloitte only be deloitte.cpa but its accounting division
> might like to use it.  I would suggest that John Smith, an accountant,
> might like to get johnsmith.cpa because johnsmith.com was already taken.
> .cpa has the added advantage that someone is unlikely to register xerox.cpa
> because it is a dumb thing to pirate. also, in the string dispute
> situations, .cpa works to alleviate confusion.
>
> If there can one million TLDs, why not experiment with one that will not
> cause trouble?
>
> .firm and .web will cause trouble.  .cpa will not cause trouble and some of
> you can make some money off of it.  maybe not as much money as .firm for
> now but it's a start.

And the character string .CPA can also mean other things, so there are other
perfectly valid uses of those strings that could be used as well.

Leave it to the user to decide the value of registering in a particular TLD.  A
restricted/controlled TLD should only be created in areas where there is a
significant need, and the threshold for that should be set high.  .EDU would
just barely meet that requirement as far as I am concerned.  .attorney probably
wouldn't, I would certainly have reservations, but might not be very vocal
about protesting it being created as a restricted TLD.  .law on the other hand,
I would oppose.  Domains under .law could be put to very useful use by
non-attorneys as well.

Restricted TLDs should be created only where there is a significant need.

--
William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
DSo Networks  http://dso.net/