Re: [wg-c] Schwimmer Post From Last Week

> Just because
> *ONE* campany says "hey, I want '.whatever', and I want it now", doesn't
> seem to me the right reason to just go ahead and give it to them...

And just because you say so, that makes it canon. Sorry, the free market
doesn't work that way.

> No, let us *all* decide on what would be good TLDs for the community (as
> opposed to individual companies deciding what would be good for their
bottom
> lines), and then make competitive tenders to get companies to run them
> cheaply, and thus serve those customers that you seem to want to be able
> find good, reliable and cheeap service for.

Fine. I also want us *all* to decide what we want to eat at commercial
eating establishments. I'd also like to have a say in deciding what HBO
shows, since I pay for that as well.

> Ok, then who gets to veto those choices of TLD? What happens when you have
> 10 in line all off them saying "I want '.web'!"? I'm sure you will give us
> some creative response which translates to "oh, but of course IOD gets to
> keep '.web'."

Nope, that's what courts of law are for. In fact, it's happening right now
on this exact issue. Imagine that.

> > By the way, I'm sure that the next offering from McDonald's should
> > be the "McGroovy." Let's mandate that, too.
>
> ICANN controls what goes in the ICANN roots. If the McDonalds BoD decides
on
> a McGroovy, then there will be one. Just as *you* cannot force your way
into
> getting McDonalds to cook a McGroovy, *you* can't force your way into
> getting IOD ram *their* ".web" down the ICANN roots. Fortunately.

ICANN and the BoD of McDonald's are two very different entities. The BoD
of McDonald's doesn't have, as one of its founding precepts, the fact that
everyone gets to participate in the process. ICANN does. But that doesn't
mean that ICANN gets to decide what goes in the roots. Indeed, ICANN
presumably gets to decide HOW we decide what goes into the roots.

You seem to be missing that very important point. We're not here to decide
what happens, we're here to work out a technical system for making those
decisions. Nothing more.

Christopher