RE: Suggestions (Re: [wg-c] Schwimmer Post From Last Week )

Mark Langston,

I agree with your assessment of chartered TLDs, and firmly believe that they
represent an excellent way to tap the vast potential of the Internet's
namespace. I would be willing to further explore the notion of chartered
TLDs, as well as any procedures/mechanisms/policies that may be necessary to
ensure the TLD's user community is consistent with its charter. I welcome
your input on this matter as I believe it holds substantial potential.

However, I think it might be beneficial to you if I explained the dilemma
that big companies are in wrt namespace expansion. Contrary to your
suggestion, big companies (AT&T, at least!) aren't interested in
monopolizing their trademarks/names/etc. in every single TLD that is
created. They may engage in such activity, but only for defensive purposes.
For example, in a recent exercise, I uncovered more than a dozen instances
of SLD/TLDs that constituted trademark infringement against AT&T's name and
brands. All of these instances involved individual people/small companies
that were not affiliated with AT&T using either the name, brands, or other
forms of obvious AT&T-owned intellectual property for their own purposes.
Some of these names resolved to porno sites, others to on-line gambling, and
one even resolved to a banner offering the name for sale. None of these
sites were affiliated with AT&T, nor enhanced AT&T's brand image or
reputation. AT&T must defend itself against such abusive and illicit uses of
its name/brands. Other trademark holders experience similar problems. Many
companies, in the absence of a better alternative, simply register their
name in every available namespace to preclude such abuses. Thus, I submit
for your approval, that big companies do, indeed, register redundant domain
names across different TLDs. However, they do so to protect their brands
from an all-too-familiar pattern of abuse.

Also, I'm not certain I understand your claim about "private" TLDs. To
continue your analogy, if porsche registered cars.porsche, then one could
argue that .porsche is a private TLD. I mean, it wouldn't make much sense
for any other auto maker to register within that TLD, so it must be private.
Right? Perhaps you meant SLD...

Mark Sportack