Re: [wg-c] reposted for Harald Tveit Alvestrand

> Under your definition, currently we HAVE competing roots. Under your
> definition, ICANN/IANA is a coordination body for ONE of those competing
> roots.

Exactly (modulo the fact that there is dispute whether the mere existance
of such competing systems can cross-confuse DNS impelementation.)

And the conclusion that one should draw is that all thse rules and
regulations about how many TLDs and what UDRP's to apply and what fees are
to be charged are merely ICANN local decisions that need not obtain under
other root system operators.

I've said as much several times.

One of the prime reasons for all of this is to try to get folks to realize
that hard-nosed positions, such as "No new TLDs" can readily lead to
somebody actually spending some serious money and turning one of the
marginal "other" root systems into something viable and adding TLDs there.

		--karl--