[wg-c] Chicken. Egg. Theory. Reality.

I couldn't agree more with the "chicken and egg" scenario drawn by Harold
Feld. For good or ill, I'm not involved with the technical issues of root
server capacities, etc. - but I am frustrated daily in spending inordinate
(and unbillable) amounts of time trying to register a decent, memorable .com
website for clients. Nothing is left. I know, I know...this is a common
complaint and not terribly original, but there is an URGENT need for new TLD
relief out here in the end-user zone.

I am sensitive to the dispute resolution problems and their complexities, but
I would suggest that the parties responsible for those solution formulas
would be much more likely to envision and solve the issues if 6 - 10 new TLDs
were officially headed right at them. Enough theory. A marketing or business
plan comes alive when the first real steps are taken - not imagined. Forward
movement from this WG will spark positive action throughout the
organizations.

On a related point, I monitor the discussions of this WG on behalf of a small
group of Caribbean governments/clients interested in establishing a regional
TLD. My clients have heard from me and other sources that the <new> Internet
organizations place a high priority on de-centralizing the old order,
dominated by North American and western European interests. Things were going
to change to some degree. There would be greater internet opportunities and
relationships for developing areas of the world. Sounds great, and my clients
were very encouraged only a few months ago. Mind you, this case is but a
tiny, tiny blip on the radar screen of ICANN and the DNSO - and many of you
have much larger concerns - but the pace of action in this new TLD matter has
not been lost on these small governments and companies.  They've been paying
attention to the non-results. Seems like nothing has changed, after all. Is
that the message we want to be sending?

Sincerely,
Jay Parker
West Indies Communications Group