Re: [wg-c] IMPORTANT: CONSENSUS CALL

On 16-Dec-1999 Rita M. Odin wrote:
> Before we exacerbate the problems we are experiencing with the current system by adding
> 6 - 10 new gTLDs, we need to see how effective the UDRP and the Anti-cybersquatting
> legislation are at addressing some of the concerns raised.  Even if effective at reducin
> g cybersquatting, these measures are not the end to the problems.  We have more work to
> do and more issues to hammer out (a famous names policy, a universal and reliable
> database of registrants, etc.) before I would feel comfortable adding new gTLDs.

One thing that shared registry for com/net/org has shown, is how easy it is to implement
a whois solution for yourself.

For example, if you use whois.geektools.com as the whois server you query, it
automatically queries the whois.internic.net for com/net/org domains, and then parses to
the correct whois server for the registrar, and outputs the record.  If even recognizes
the ccTLDs that operate whois servers, so if you type in domain.se, it will properly
parse that and query the .se whois server.  http://www.geektools.com/ makes this whois
proxy available free of charge, source included.

For unix command like there are client programs such as BWwhois at http://www.bw.org/whois
that also parse the output from whois.internic.net to autoforward to the correct
registrar.

I'd say this is a good solid argument why a universal database of registrants is not
required.  Tools can easily be made to query the appropriate databases automatically with
very little work.

On the famous names policy, the courts are pretty much setting a VERY high standard for
famous mark protection.  I would say it inappropriate to move forward on that too much
within ICANN at the moment.  Avery-Dennison, Clue.com, etc, have shown that the famous
mark protection under the law isn't as absolute as the IP constituency would like it to
be, or would want it to be under ICANN.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Networks
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934