Re: [wg-c] Initial Numbers

On 15-Dec-1999 John Charles Broomfield wrote:
> Unfortunately neither scenario goes down too well with the "I want *MY* TLD,
> and I want it *NOW* entered in the traditional root" crowd. Under the first
> scenario, an independent TLD becomes quite meaningless, just as we don't see
> strong business models profitting from creation of 3rd level domains under
> any given SLD (look at ml.org for example), after all, why do you want
> "yourname.something-else" instead of just ".your-name"?

I don't know what you mean here.  ML.org was not a business, it was a totally 100%
volunteer run organization that had over 150,000 registered hosts before it closed.  It
closed, not because of monetary concerns, but because the people who made up the
administration of this organization could no longer work together and make decisions.
There closure was purely do to organizational structure issues.  ML.org's user base
generated more than enough income to cover its expenses and expansion.

DHS.org currently has nearly 50,000 registered hosts in their just over 1 year long
lifetime.  They also are non-profit, and are more than covering their expenses with
sponsorships, which have been quite beneficial to their sponsors as well.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Networks
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934