RE: [wg-c] Initial Numbers

> Behalf Of Kevin J. "Chicken Little" Connolly
> Sent: Monday, December 13, 1999 9:49 AM

> >Technically, adding a new TLD to the root means adding a few
> >lines of text with the character string and pointers to two name
> >servers. There are no technical issues whatsoever as long as the
> >number stays below one million, which it certainly will do.
>
> I know that this proposition does not enjoy universal support.  It
> overlooks the fact that the frequency of root queries is almost
> certainly proportional to the number of zones in the root.

False.

>I would
> love to see the experimental data which show that increasing the
> number of zones by four orders of magnitude will not result in an
> unacceptably-great increase in DNS latency.  In fact, DNS latency
> is a subject I do not recall *anyone* on this list (other
> than myself)
> ever having raised, notwithstanding many people bandy about the
> absence of technical barriers to increasing the number of zones
> in the root.

Latency == irrelevant.

Before I go on to these Kevin ... If it were any one else, or someone that I
didn't know, I'd give you the benefit of the doubt. However, becasue I know
that you know better (therefore, this is NOT an innocent mistake) I'll call
you out as deliberately spreading FUD. I'll also state that you've been
called out as a FUD-meister before... with cause.

A new TLD will generate no more new zones than an SLD, a 3LD, or a 4LD. If
your argument were true then we had better hurry up and start restricting
new zones at any level and the DNS is seriously broken. Your logic is beyond
"impaired".

For both parts, many of us know that every time a sub-net is delegated, a
new zone is created. There are no practical limits on the number of zones
that the DNS can support. MHSC.COM contains six zone files, MHSC.NET has
MANY more. There is a one:many relationship, of domains to zone files. Also,
every hostmaster is in charge of one or more zones.

The only things that effect latency are the throughput of the root server
and the type of network it is connected to.