RE: [wg-c-1] First question

> Should there be new gTLDs?
>
> My opinion is that there should be new gTLD. Here are my reasons:
>
> 1) A stable registry system cannot depend on one single gTLD
> registry. If
> that registry fails, everything fails. There should be
> therefore, several
> gTLD registries.

I think that a 'gTLD registry' is a different concept from a gTLD. Thus, you
could easily forsee a situation where a 'Registry' managed but did not
control a number of TLDs. On the other hand, you may not envisage a
situation where a single body controlled more than one TLD. Or you may find
this simple to imagine. I think it all comes down to defining how we want
TLDs to work in our world.
If we try and look at the situation with clear eyes, not with NSI or anyone
else in our eyes, we should be able to come up with some brilliant
solutions.
Maybe we should go about it the other way round. I'd like to put the concept
of a TLD Registry out to tender. See what new technologies the Internet
itself can come up with to allow us to create and run new TLDs in a
flexible, fair, transparent and honest manner. After all, we all know there
must be better ways than the new NSI SRS to run these things, but do we know
all the options?
Ivan