Re: [wg-c-1] Preliminaries

At 13:15 1999-07-10 +0200, Petter Rindforth wrote:

Firstly, I believe that we all can agree that this committee will not be able to solve and answer all questions raised until August 9, 1999.

Agree

Therefore, we will have to focus on the most imporatnt issues

Agree

As to the questions raised:

1. Should there be new generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs)?
YES, I believe that it is necessary to (over the time) increase the numbers of gTLDs, both for technical reasons (as there are no official sub-domains connected to the existing gTLDs) and in order to create new alternatives for _honest_ business people to protect their identification on the Net.

This is the initially most important question.

1a). If yes: How many?

This is a question that has to be solved when we now the answer on Q1. Behind this question a lot of new questions arises such as  Which ones? Criteria? Criteria for registering? Open or Restricted? If restricted - in what way? The demand for regional codes - yes or no? Criteria?
All these questions has to be answered in a proffessional way.

The seven gTLDs recommended by IAHC seems rather closely related - what are, in reality, the difference between .arts and ...rec? Are not all web sites on the Internet "emphasizing activities relating to the WWW" (.web)?

Good point

2. There are many problems to be solved before any new gTLDs can be introduced. One very important issue is the creation of dispute policy and the need to stop cybersquatting. I do not want to be part of a system where trade mark owners will have to register in all new gTLDs just to protect themselves from infringers.

Agree

We will not have the time to solve this with the current timetable for this committee.

Agree

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong"
Oscar Wilde

Ooops.......

/ Eva Frölich

Eva Frölich