Re: [wg-c-1] Re: [wg-c] Re: Lists of new TLDs

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 11:16:08AM -0800, chris conant wrote:
>This would include the following concerns:
>
>gTLD list to come from alternate public sources. Proposed list of seven-- too
>limiting and biased.
>
>representation on this public committee by those financially benefitting from
>the acceptance of a trademarked TLD is a conflict of interest (and raises
>questions of integrity).
>
>Does anyone on this list not have financial gain from this process?

Many of us.  I have no financial gain from this process.
Neither does Javier.  Neither, to my knowledge, does Jon Weinberg.

[Perhaps one should could qualify this statement to deal with absurd
end-cases -- if somebody offered to hire me as a consultant as result
of my participation in this effort, for example, that is a financial
gain that some would claim was connected to this process, and
therefore one could say that my participation involved financial
gain.  This is an absurd generalization of "financial gain", because
under that definition any public activity whatsoever involves
"financial gain", and the term contains no useful information.]