Re: [wg-c-1] WORK: Question #1 New GTLDs

Ivan Pope wrote:

> Either gTLDs can be wholly owned and controlled by parties outside
> ICANN
>
> or gTLDs can be managed and controlled only under license from ICANN
>
> Maybe we can discuss whether the WG wants to come out for one approach or
> the other?

Yes, these do appear to be foundational questions.

I'm interested in the second one.

Is there anything preventing ICANN from managing or controlling gTLDs?
For example, if someone claims to have trademarked a zone suffix (like
.web), how does this state of affairs impede or enable ICANN's power to
act with regard to that gTLD?

And by  "managing" or "controlling," I presume you are speaking at a
minimum of adding the gTLD into the IANA root in a way that matches the
gTLD with a specific registry operator. What else?

Craig Simon

(posting in Group 1 since Ivan and others who were cc'd in this thread
are apparently not members of Group 3)