Re: [wg-c-1] WORK: Question #1 New GTLDs

>> Finally, I think Kent's concern about "intellectual property
encumbrances"
>> addresses a side issue.
>
>Nope.  It's a central concern.  If the registry has independent
>intellectual property claims on the TLD name, it vastly complicates
>ICANN's regulatory schema

This may very well be true, though I'm not sure. To address it, then,
you need a well-written contract that allows for remidies on
(presumably) ICANN's part should this happen. Make it broad,
but make it so that (presumably) ICANN cannot just take away
the rights without cause.

>That is a secondary question after a deeper question.  If registries
>are indeed non-profit cost recovery operations, then it doesn't
>matter much who operates one.  If registries are for-profit
>goldmine monopolies, then it matters a great deal.

Unmitigatedly false. How in the world can you support this
statement?