RE: [wg-b] WG-B Report

Roeland Meyer wrote:

>Is this where we start the mutiny?

Does not parse.  I suppose a mutiny means relinquishing your membership in
a Working Group, whose results are not likely to be considered if they
don't square with those who have predetermined view of what the outcomes
should be.

Or relinquishing your membership in the @Large, if you have chosen to give
the weight of your name to add credibility to ICANN's labyrinthian
structure,

What mutiny do you think would have any impact whatsoever on the course of
what I believe are predetermined outcomes?

The USG wants policies adopted whereby:  "Domain name registrants would
agree, at the time of registration or renewal, to abide by processes
adopted by the new corporation that exclude, either pro-actively or
retroactively, certain famous trademarks from being used as domain names
(in one or more TLDs) except by
the designated trademark holder."
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/6_5_98dns.htm

That's the directive of the White Paper.  Unless DOC develops an
understanding that the Internet is a communication resource not solely a
commercial one (not likely since this hot potato was handed to the
Department of Commerce rather than the Federal Communications Commission),
that's the outcome we're gonna get, WGB and DNSO activities
notwithstanding.

If you want a mutiny, start by identifying all the clueless
Congresscritters who in their esteemed wisdom brought us the retroactive
and regrettable Trademark Cyberpiracy Act.  You got a domain name and don't
"use" it.  You must be a cybersquatter acting in bad faith.  You got a
domain name that happens to be confusingly similar to a common law mark
used in principality for some purpose somethere in this world; you must be
a cybersquatter acting in bad faith.  You got a domain name and in response
to a trademark owner's query, offer to sell it for a generouly inflated
sum;  of course, you are a surely cybersquatter, acting in bad faith.

That sucking sound you hear is surely IP attorneys scrambling to figure out
how to get "famous" mark status for all their trademark clients.

BTW, I didn't write anything in the messages carried forward below and
attributed to me, although I surely have written about WGB's discussion and
report.

Ellen Rony                    //          http://www.domainhandbook.com
Co-author                  *="  ____ /            erony@marin.k12.ca.us
The Domain Name Handbook      \     )                  +1  415.435.5010
                              //   \\             "Carpe canine"

          The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.