RE: TM Sunrise +20 (Re: [wg-b] WG-B Report -Take II)

Steve, who said hoarding trademarks?

I said hoarding domain names.  All told, twenty million of them.

Usurping twenty million domain names for trophy placement
on a shelf, before "consumers" have a shot at even one.

That's what I said.

Judith

------------------
The US trademark system allows any person file an application to register a
trademark based on an "intention to use" the mark. Once such an application
is approved by the US Patent and Trademark Office and passes the opposition
period, a the applicant obtains a registration upon submitting proof of bona
fide commercial use. Put differently, it is easy to obtain a federal
trademark registration. It was even easier prior to 1989. It's even easier
in most other countries, where use is not a requirement to obtain a
registration.Yet Nabisco has less than 900 registrations in the US. Why so
few when we could horde so many? Because Nabisco does not waste its time or
money collecting useless things. We have to justify the use of our time and
money to management and shareholders. We have a legal, fiduciary obligation
to not waste corporate assets (including cash).

I don't believe other companies operate much differently.

Steve Hartman

800 & Dot Com News, Intelligence, Consulting – FREE Daily HeadsUp Headlines.
"...superb real-time source..." –– "...invaluable..." ––
"...indispensable..."
http://ICBTollFree.com –– http://1800TheExpert.com ––  (U.S.) 1 800 The
Expert
Judith Oppenheimer –– mailto:joppenheimer@icbtollfree.com ––  +1 212