Re: [wg-b] Re: Fw: Unfamous Names...

love@cptech.org writes:
> So the fact that there is a some report at WIPO on domain names is
>  interesting, but it doesn't mean much without national government buy-in

I would like to support the idea that the WIPO proposals on famous marks had
little support, as I saw it, in the Internet community generally, or among
the non-trademark Panel of Experts members in particular.  And also that
powers to WIPO are generally designated by treaty.

The main purpose of the WIPO report was to evolve and introduce the core of
what became the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy.  This material was the
focus of everyone's attention, and the vast majority of debate and
discussion.  It became Chapter 3 of WIPO's Final Report.

The famous marks section, Chapter 4 of WIPO's report, came as a real
surprise.  It was widely criticized, with the most extensive criticism being
that of Professor Michael Froomkin at
http://www.law.miami.edu/~amf/commentary.htm (see the section label "The Bad
News").  Froomkin served on WIPO's Panel of Experts.

I think WG-B has done a much better job than WIPO, frankly, of discussing the
need for and concerns/fears about famous mark protection.

Kathy Kleiman
ACM-IGP