Re: [wg-b] famous names

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Trexler <jeff_trexler@yahoo.com>

> > Particularly if they both speak English.  Otherwise
> > such a taxonomy is so
> > much gibberish to the majority of people in the
> > world.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that tags had to be limited to
> English.  For example, I believe that the .union
> proposal contemplates foreign language corollaries,
> such as .syn.  Applying the same principle across
> semantic systems multiplies registration possibilities
> & makes the overall network of names that much more
> accessible to the intended constituencies.

Then is .gross the polite substitute for .sucks?  Or is it the German TLD
for things that are large?

There are cross-language mappings of alphabetic strings that have
interesting results, as Chevrolet learned when it tried to sell the Nova in
Spanish speaking countries where "no va" means "it doesn't go".

The term "SYN" by the way, either alone or as a suffix, is subject to the
following US trademark registrations, any of the holders of which might sue
you over using .syn :

2294650 -- CARDINAL SYN
 2241969 -- PRIMARY SYN
 2233337 -- HAMMER SYN
 2118308 -- GYP SYN
 2083665 -- HY-SYN
 2075485 -- PARA-SYN
 2075440 -- JERYD SYN
 2006198 -- HOP-SYN
 1984585 -- SYN
 1960317 -- BLACK SYN
 1897402 -- SYN
 1780861 -- SYN
 1676575 -- RESPONSYN
1475608 -- VAXSYN
 1466895 -- PMS-SYN
 1340086 -- FER+SYN
 1268832 -- RIC-SYN
 1255142 -- AUD SYN
 1166042 -- KRONA-SYN
 1085905 -- UNI-SYN
 1080868 -- INDEX-SYN
 1037277 -- STEP-SYN
 0859252 -- SLO-SYN
 0855965 -- SLO-SYN
0826373 -- PULSE SYN
 0785461 -- EC-SYN
 0777758 -- SLO-SYN
 0685066 -- SLO-SYN

Similar lists can be generated for each and every single one of the TLD
proposals that have been made thus far.

Like Chief Brodie in _Jaws_, "We're gonna need a bigger list."

> Do You Yahoo!?

Not if I can help it.