RE: [wg-b] Creation of Famous List

It sounds like I missed a comment period while engaged with paying clients.
My views are well known and published
(http://www.dnso.net/library/dnso-tld.mhsc-position.shtml).

specifically;
"
With the present churn regarding trademark rulings and issues, it is
becoming ever more vital that the registry remove its business operation as
far as possible from these contentious issues. The registry should not
support any form of arbitration directly or otherwise embroil itself in that
political debate. It should require the presentation of a court order, from
a court of competent jurisdiction, prior to acting on any of these issues,
and otherwise remain strictly neutral. It is the registry’s prime directive
to maintain the stability of its operation, above all else. With this in
mind, the only defensible strategy is to follow current legal dictates
exactly, not try to make new law or support proponents of making new law,
such as WIPO. In short, a root registry should recuse itself from being
proactive in these legal issues. It must remain steadfastly neutral.

It is the registry’s business to register names, not to adjudicate them. It
is the court’s business to adjudicate. If a court of competent jurisdiction
wants to impose some sort of filtering on the names, that the registry will
use, then it must do so explicitly, via court orders.
"

The entire position paper was submitted to BOTH WG-B and WG-C. I wasn't
aware that I would have to continuously reiterate MHSC positions. I see
nothing having occured to change this particular MHSC position. Lack of
commentary, in the last round should NOT be construed as MHSC abdication of
position. This position clearly delineates that a court of competent
jurisdiction is authoritative and NOT necessarily WIPO (WIPO not being a
court, in ANY jurisdiction).

As a private commercial concern, MHSC will NOT accept liabilities without
quid pro quo. Mandated liablities, from properly authoritative bodies (force
of LAW, not civil process) are usually associated with contingient
immunities (transfering collateral liabilities to the authoritative body).
Neither ICANN not WIPO are in a position to assume such authority (even if
ICANN does get the DOC grant this September, they are still not a regulatory
body).

Please let me clarify, MHSC doesn't care about whether or not a "Famous
Marks" list exists, only that it is authoritative, or not, in a manner in
which the Registry is not held liable for its enforcement. Technically, it
is trivial to enforce such an exclusions list. That is not the issue. The
content of such a list is also not the issue. But, I'm here to tell you
that, if you want such a list, you had better make it authoritative, in LAW,
and not in whim. Otherwise, it will not happen and the registry that tries
to enforce it will be sued to within 2 microinches of its corporate life, in
short order.