Re: [wg-b] Second Circuit on First Amendment Analysis of DomainNames

Sumption is not part of the calss of cases we are talking about because it
is not a fmaous marks case. Sumption registered avery.net, not
plannedparenthood.net or chanel.net.  Avery Dennison is distinguished from
Planned Parenthood by the holding that (1) neither AVERY or DENNISON are
famous marks and (2) Sumpton was not using the names in their sense as
trademarks but as surnames.  The court's holding suggested that if someone
encountered AVERY.NET, there is no presumption that they are looking for a
site originating with Avery-Dennison.  There was no presumption that
Sumpton had targeted Avery or Dennison (and I am sure that he didn't target
Charles Schwab when he registered schwab.net either).  An inherent aspect
of the Absolutely Unique Famous Mark is that there is a presumption that
the third party knew that the AUFM was owned by someone else.

If some one uses [famous mark].tld for a site about [famous mark], even if
the home page says "This is not a cite originating with famous mark" then
such a site would likely be held infringing under the initial interest
cases (MOVIE BUFF and EPIX) and the free speech cases (Jewsforjesus,
papalvisit, plannedparenthood).

I want to add one thing.  A client of mine received an email from someone
saying "I have registered such and such a domain name (which included the
trademark of my client).  If you don't pay me $12,000, I will put up a web
site saying bad things about the product."  I attribute this threat to
misimpressions in the user community as to some type of magic bullet free
speech defense.