Re: [wg-b] Second Circuit on First Amendment Analysis of Domain Names

PLANNED PARENTHOOD is a mark for a service which generates perhaps more
political speech than any other topic in the US.  Someone used
plannedparenthood.com for a site which made authentic political speech
about Planned Parenthood.  There could not be a more political context.  It
is the extreme case.  The Circuit Court still held that the
plannedparenthood.com domain name was functioning as a source identifier
and enjoined the use. NewYorkYankees.com or MoetetChandon.com can only be
less political, less likely to generate public debate.  If the extreme case
of [mark].com merited injunction, then you can mechanically apply the
exclusion (and if you can posit an exception, then challenge the famous
mark designation in that case - it's clear which way the presumptions
should lie in this situation).