Re: [wg-b] FORMAL BALLOT No. 1

Mark:
I think you may not understand what Michael is trying to do here, or what needs to be done. Those of
us who have participated in DNSO workgroups have learned very quickly that there are sharp divisions
around some very complex issues. The only way to make progress is to break problems up into simpler
binary choices of the sort Michael was proposing. That allows us to move some of the complexity off
the table and then proceed.

Thus, the phrase "yet to be determined" in option A is, admittedly, weasel-wording, but it can
attract support from *both* people who may believe that the hard-core WIPO proposals should be
adopted in toto, and others who may not like them but believe something should be done, and a range
of other positions. If it turns out that Option A really does command a large consensus among this
working group, then we can debate and discuss your more specific options later.